Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a building permit?
Contact the Building Inspector, Darryl Dostal at (phone number). Mr. Dostal is responsible for building inspections as well. It is also good to contact Barron County Zoning regarding necessary setbacks in case a variance is needed.

How do I get a driveway permit?
Contact the Town Patrolman, David Etlicher at 715-859-6250. He will approve your plans and issue the permit. A driveway permit is $5.

Who do I need to contact to put an item on the Town Board Agenda?
You may contact either the Town Board Chair, Steve Palmquist at 715-651-2965 or Sandra Tomczak at 715-859-6520. There is a 10-day notification deadline prior the the meeting to place items on the board's agenda. The Chairman has the discretion to waive the deadline.

I have some property to rezone. What is the procedure to get that done?
Since the Town of Sumner is under Barron County Zoning, contact Barron County Zoning regarding the procedure. They will provide you with the necessary forms. After the town receives the Township Consideration Form, we can place the petition on the agenda.

When does the Town have a clean-up day?
Cleanup Day is held on the 2nd Saturday in May.

There are dogs running at large on my property. Who do I contact about this?
The Barron County Sheriff's Department Animial Control Officer should be contacted at 715-537-3106.

When is Board of Review held?
Board of Review is must be called to order between the 2nd Monday in May and the 30 days thereafter, even if the assessment roll is not complete. Notice must be given at least 15 days prior to the Board of Review hearing.